Four back injury prevention tips
Back injuries can be caused by a range of factors including:
- Bending while lifting
- Lifting with too much force
- Poor footing, such as hazardous work areas
- Reaching while lifting
- Remaining in one position for a long duration of time
- Repetitive motions or lifting practices.
Some back injury prevention techniques include:
- Avoiding heavy lifting if possible. In addition, lift with your knees, instead of your back by lifting using knee power and keeping the back straight.
- Implementing back-strengthening exercises into weekly routines. Exercising your back two to three times a week can help make the back more limber, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Sitting and standing up straight. Constant pressure on the back caused by bad posture can cause long-term damage, as well as inhibit your ability to complete tasks properly and efficiently.
- Staying active by exercising or following a health daily routine that works best for you.
Preventing back injuries is vital to your overall health and wellness. Treating a back injury can be a long, tedious process with time spent away from work and other daily activities.
Mastery has video-based e-learning courses available for back safety and injury prevention. Some focus on lifting techniques and safety, while others encourage a full personal understanding of health limitations.
For a full list of available employee training courses, visit our website.