8 Ways to Recharge Your Day
Do you ever have those days when it just seems impossible to get focused or start on that project you’ve been avoiding? There always seems to be one day a week where creativity juices are lagging, and usually hindering productivity. Or if it’s not creativity that seems to be lost, it’s the mid-day, after lunch, crash. Either way, when the creativity halt or productivity crash ensues, it seems like there’s no way you’ll make it through the rest of the work day.
Fear not! We’ve compiled a list of things to-do when you’ve hit a mental block:
- Walk; a recent article from Fast Company Magazine suggests walking as a way to help with mental roadblocks. The article “found that walking–whether you’re indoors or outdoors–is good for giving the brain a dose of inspiration.”
- Mediate; this article from Inc.com gives some great pointers to meditation for beginners
- Visit a coworker (of course, don’t interrupt them), for some inspiration and a quick social visit
- Read an article from a magazine, trade publication, or a few pages from a book that’s industry-related or news worthy. These sometimes help to motivate you and offer different perspectives
- Work somewhere other than your desk (obviously if that’s feasible) to change-up your work environment
- Exercise; Physical activity/workouts can help clear your mind and refresh your thoughts
- Have a healthy snack. Be careful of snacks with a lot a fat and sugar, these can send you right into another productivity crash (also known as the “sugar crash”)
- Of course, when desperate, grab a cup of coffee, or caffeine jolt of your choice
At MasteryTCN, we’ve started twice daily walking outings open to any employee who’d like to join. These walks occur once in the morning, and once in the afternoon. The walks seem to not only perk everyone up but also give employees time to brainstorm ideas off one-another, chat about the happenings in their department, and provide a few minutes of socializing with each other.
What do you do to refresh your mind at work?